|Taja Sevelle is the first studio album by Taja Sevelle, and is her only album to feature writing input by Prince.
Two of the album's ten tracks were written (or co-written) by Prince, although the album was produced by Minneapolis musician Chico Bennett.
Although Taja Sevelle had signed to Paisley Park Records when it was formed in 1985, she mainly worked with Warner Bros. executives on the album, and Prince's involvement was minimal; he submitted the songs in late 1986 after Michael Jackson had rejected Wouldn't You Love To Love Me? for his album Bad.
Sessions and compiling
Both songs with Prince involvement were not initially designed for Taja Sevelle and had initially been recorded earlier in his career. Wouldn't You Love To Love Me? was first recorded in 1976-1977, before Prince had even recorded his first album For You, and If I Could Get Your Attention was first recorded in May 1986.
The album produced four singles, Love Is Contagious (released shortly before the album), Wouldn't You Love To Love Me?, Popular and Take Me For A Ride.
It failed to chart in the US, but reached number 48 in the UK.
- Chico Bennett - producer (all tracks), arrangement on If I Could Get Your Attention
- Michael "Mi" Austin - executive producer
- Benny Medina - executive producer
- Tommy Vicari - mix engineer (credited for entire album) (at Sound Castle, Lion Share)
- Bernie Grundman - mastering (at Bernie Grundman Mastering)
- Chris Bellman - mastering (at Bernie Grundman Mastering)
- Jeri M. McManus Heiden - art direction / design
- Bonnie Lewis - photography (front cover)
- Jeff Katz - photography ("captured the moment" - back cover)
- Joanne Gair - make-up (front cover)
- Fritz - make-up ("mug paint" - back cover)
- Michelle Cole - rag arrangement (back cover)
- Todd Reid - crop fashions (back cover)
- Julie Daul (Picasso's Guru) - inner sleeve drawing
- Cavallo, Ruffalo & Fargnoli - personal management
- SPECIAL THANKS to Michael "Mi" Ostin, Benny Medina, Crunchie, Richard Burkhart, Lenny Waronker, Bob Cavallo, C.R.F., C. Blake, Jeri Mc"M", all the Warner "Bros", Gerg, Garfy, Knut B., Wee B., Ivy, "T.V.", Moultrie Acc., Theresa R., B. Caine, R. White, Footprints (PRN), Todd, Fritz, and all other friends with unwavering belief, Tuck and betty R., Cush and Betty Sr., ... and myself for hanging'.
- "MI" AND "MEDINA": Words of thanks are mere reflections of feelings much deeper...
- COOL PEOPLE: Susan Elizabeth, Emilia, Noa Spoerri, Del Royster, Terri Slaton, Jackie Swartz and Sally Watson
- "HEY FOOTPRINTS... your life has made mine possible... thanks"