|1995: Child Of The Sun ◄||All Albums||All Related Artists Albums||► 1997: Living Single|
|Released:||14 February 1997|
|Studio(s):||Paisley Park Studios, Chanhassen, MN, USA; Mad Hatter Studios, Los Angeles, CA, USA; Record Plant, Hollywood, CA, USA|
Kamasutra is the first and only studio album by The NPG Orchestra, and was released in February 1997 on cassette through direct order from 1-800 New Funk (with the full album repeated on each side). A CD release was included with the direct order edition of Prince's 20th full-length studio album Crystal Ball, the fourth to be credited to .
All eleven tracks were written by Prince, and all contain him playing most of the non-orchestral instruments, with Eric Leeds playing saxophone, horns by the NPG Hornz, and orchestra added by Clare Fischer's orchestra. The album is entirely instrumental, with repeated musical themes throughout, and was recorded between Spring 1994 and 1996 by Prince (as ) at Paisley Park Studios, Chanhassen, MN, USA, and by Clare Fischer's orchestra at Ocean Way Recording, Hollywood, CA, USA.
No singles were released, but The Plan had been released in edited form on Emancipation, with liner notes noting the forthcoming release of Kamasutra. In late 1997, the NPG Dance Company (led by Mayte) danced to the full Kamasutra album during the second act of their three-act Around The World In A Day Tour. As a direct-order release, the album was not eligible for entry in any charts.
The album's title is taken from the Kama Sutra, considered to be the most important work in a long line of Indian erotic literature, written by the Hindu philosopher Vātsyāyana (the Kama Sutra was previously mentioned by Prince in We Can Fuck (later released as We Can Funk)).
An early version of the artwork (done in 1996) shows the album, before being included ad a bonus disc to Crystal Ball was originally to be released as a stand-alone album credited to Prince (as , which woulds have made that Prince's 20th album and the the fourth to be credited to instead of Crystal Ball. The original artwork contained paintings by artist Chad Attie in the booklet which were all discarded when the album was released as part of the Crystal Ball set.
- The Plan (2:03)
- Kamasutra (11:49)
- At Last… "The Lost Is Found" (3:37)
- The Ever Changing Light (2:59)
- Cutz (3:03)
- Serotonin (0:47)
- Promise/Broken (3:46)
- Barcelona (2:16)
- Kamasutra/Overture #8 (3:11)
- Coincidence Or Fate? (3:24)
- Kamasutra/Eternal Embrace (4:02)
All tracks written by Prince (as )
- Prince (as ) – all instruments, except where noted
- Eric Leeds – tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone, flute on Kamasutra and Kamasutra/Overture #8, baritone saxophone on Promise/Broken
- Michael B. Nelson - trombone on Kamasutra and Kamasutra/Overture #8
- Kathy J. - baritone saxophone on Kamasutra and Kamasutra/Overture #8
- Dave Jensen - trumpet on Kamasutra and Kamasutra/Overture #8
- Brian Gallagher - tenor saxophone on Kamasutra and Kamasutra/Overture #8
- Steve Strand - trumpet on Kamasutra and Kamasutra/Overture #8
- Clare Fischer - orchestral arrangements on Kamasutra, At Last… "The Lost Is Found", The Ever Changing Light, Cutz, Serotonin, Promise/Broken, Barcelona, Kamasutra/Overture #8, Coincidence Or Fate? andKamasutra/Eternal Embrace
- Orchestral players on Kamasutra, At Last… "The Lost Is Found", The Ever Changing Light, Cutz, Serotonin, Promise/Broken, Barcelona, Kamasutra/Overture #8, Coincidence Or Fate? and Kamasutra/Eternal Embrace:
- Prince (as ) - producer, primary orchestrator, engineer
- Morris Repass - orchestral manager
- Brent Fischer - musical transcriptions
- Ray Hahnfeldt - engineer
- Steve Durkee - engineer
- Shane Keller - engineer
- Larry Mah - engineer
- Arne Frager (as Anne Frager) - engineer
- Kirk Johnson - mastering at Bernie Grundmann
- Brian Gardner - mastering at Bernie Grundmans
- Nicole Nodland - cover photograph (credited for "photograph of Mayte")
- Steve Parke - art direction (as Steven Parke)
- Michael Van Huffel - art direction
- This album was not eligible to enter any charts.
|USA||CD||none||as part of the Crystal Ball round plastic 5 CDs case|
- In late 1997, the NPG Dance Company (led by Mayte) danced to the full Kamasutra album during the second act of their three-act Around The World In A Day Tour.
Awards, nominations, and certifications
Child Of The Sun
|All Albums||All Related Artists Albums||1997