|Here It Is is the debut solo album by Minneapolis gospel/pop singer Jevetta Steele (who also sings with The Steeles), and was released in France in May 1991.
The album contained And How and Skip 2 My U My Darling (containing writing and musical input by Prince), as well as Calling You (which had been included in the movie Baghdad Cafe and which later gained more attention when George Michael included it on his bestselling Five Live EP).
Prince's contributions were recorded at distinct times. And How was recorded by Prince in March 1986, but Jevetta Steele's version was a re-recording from November 1990. Skip 2 My U My Darling was recorded in late 1990 or early 1991 (Prince himself does not appear on the recording, and it's not clear if he recorded a preliminary version).
Hold Me was recorded by Prince in June 1990, and was originally intended for Rosie Gaines before being offered to Anita Baker. Jevetta Steele recorded her vocal overdubs in October 1991. Open Book was recorded in December 1990, or early 1991, and was intended for Martika's album Martika's Kitchen before Jevetta Steele recorded vocals at some point before Summer, 1993.
The album was later revamped and released worldwide in 1993. Both of Prince's songs were removed, but were replaced by two alternate tracks with Prince input : Hold Me and Open Book. The reasons for the switch in songs are unknown.
The 1993 international release was accompanied by a promotional release, Hold Me. The album did not enter the charts, however.
- Jevetta Steele - lead vocals, background vocals
- Michael B. - drums on Hold Me
- Sonny T. - bass guitar on Hold Me
- Levi Seacer, Jr. - guitar on Hold Me, all instruments except where noted on Open Book, keyboards, guitar and drum programming on Skip 2 My U My Darling
- Tommy Barbarella - keyboards on Hold Me
- Kathleen Johnson - backing vocals on Hold Me
- Kirk Johnson - backing vocals on Hold Me, percussion on Open Book
- Prince - background vocals on Open Book
- Uncredited musician - saxophone on Open Book (possibly Eric Leeds)
- Fred Steele - background vocals on And How and Skip 2 My U My Darling
- JD Steele - background vocals on And How and Skip 2 My U My Darling
- Jearlyn Steele - background vocals on And How and Skip 2 My U My Darling
- Billy Steele - background vocals, organ and rap on Skip 2 My U My Darling
- Ricky Peterson - all instruments, except where noted, on And How, keyboards on Skip 2 My U My Darling
- St. Paul Peterson - all instruments, except where noted, on And How, bass guitar and guitar on Skip 2 My U My Darling