From Prince Vault
(Redirected from Sample clip only)
The below definitions apply for concert page setlists:
- Songs Title of the song that is played
- Additional Songs Songs of parts thereof that are not played on its own, but are dependent of the song in the first column, in the form of chants or (instrumental) interpolations, or simply over the groove of the initial song.
- Remarks/Personnel Guest(s) (musicians not in the regular line up for this tour or show) performing, or lead vox / solo instrument performing on this song.
- - Indicates songs strung together in a medley.
- / Indicates songs that a played together both as a main song without one being part of the other.
- aborted A song (abruptly) stopped while it was being played, due to technical failure or Prince changing his mind.
- chant A repeated rhythmic phrase, song lyrics or otherwise, typically shouted or sung in unison by or with the audience.
- (coda) The concluding passage of song.
- groove An (improvised) piece of music, often instrumental.
- horns Played by brass instruments (saxophone, trumpet, trombone etc.)
- incl. (including) Containing as part of the whole.
- instrumental Played without lyrics in the original (studio) version of the song.
- interlude A piece of music inserted between other songs or parts of a longer composition.
- interpolation A musical or lyrical part of a different song inserted into a song rendition.
- intro The beginning of a song or segment.
- jam A repeated groove, based on an existing song or made up on the spot with often solos or ad-libs.
- lyrics Spoken or sung lines of a chorus or verse from a song only.
- ’medley' Partial renditions of various songs combined together.
- ’motif' Recurring (instrumental) theme.
- partial A song of which only a limited part is played. Either a verse or a chorus, or a verse plus a chorus, but nothing of a second verse, regardless of the total length of the songs performance.(see also: 'tease'.)
- personnel All people (besides Prince) in the band for a show or recording session.
- prelude An introductory piece of music.
- rap: A rapped part into a song.
- ’reprise' A repeated passage of a song.
- ’sample' A sound clip created by sampling from the studio recording of a song, without additional lyrics sang live. It can occasionally contain live-added (random) chants.
- ’sans' Without. A person in the band line-up (including Prince) absent from a song rendition.
- ’segue' A song rendition segueing into the next song, without any pause in between them and usually with the beat continuing uninterrupted.
- ’show coda' Set musical ending to a specific show.
- ’show intro' Set musical opening to a specific show.
- tease Part of a melody or lyrics performed or lyrics and words performed, but no more than a verse or a chorus maximum. (see also: 'partial'.)
- truncated A song played in a (rehearsed) shortened version, leaving out one or more verses or a bridge.
- w/ (with) A person, usually a guest, participating in the song.
- [H-int] interpolation (horns)
- [Int] interpolation
- [P] partial
- [S] sample
- [T] tease
- over sampled loop: A song done as a "partial" or "full band" where the base is a sampled loop cued by Prince.
- guitar set: Prince accompanying himself on (acoustic) guitar. Sometimes with (minor) band backing indicated a such. (Almost always "partial" songs and more or less segueing into one another. Not indicated as such).
- piano set: Prince accompanying himself on piano. Sometimes with (minor) band backing indicated a such. (Almost always "partial" songs and more or less segueing into one another. Not indicated as such).