From Prince Vault
Revision as of 05:10, 3 June 2015 by BLR
The below definitions apply for our concert page setlists:
- Songs: Title of the song that is played
- Additional Songs: Songs of parts there of that are not played on its own, but as a part of the song in the first column, in the form of chants or interpolations, or simply over the melody of the song in the first column.
- Remarks/Personnel: Guest(s) (musicians not in the regular line up for this tour or show) performing, or lead vox / solo instrument performing on this song.
- aborted: A song (abruptly) stopped while it was being played, due to technical failure or Prince changing his mind.
- abbreviated: A song played in a (rehearsed) shortened version, leaving out one or more verses or a bridge.
- chant: A repeated rhythmic phrase, song lyrics or otherwise, typically shouted or sung in unison by or with the audience.
- coda: The concluding passage of song.
- groove: An (improvised) piece of music, often instrumental.
- horn: Played by horns (saxophone, trumpet, trombone etc.)
- horn motif: A horn motif from a different song inserted into a song rendition.
- incl. (including): Containing as part of the whole.
- instrumental: Played without lyrics in the original (studio) version of the song.
- interlude: A piece of music inserted between other songs or parts of a longer composition.
- interpolation: A musical or lyrical part of a different song inserted into a song rendition.
- intro: The beginning of a song or segment.
- jam: Prince and the band repeat song instrumental main theme and eventually solo or ad-lib.
- medley: Partial renditions of various songs combined together.
- motif: Recurring (instrumental) theme.
- partial: A song of which only a limited part is played. Either a verse or a chorus, or a verse plus a chorus, but nothing of a second verse, regardless of the total length of the songs performance.
- personnel: All people (besides Prince) in the band for a show or recording session.
- prelude: An introductory piece of music.
- rap: A spoken part into a song.
- reprise: A repeated passage of a song.
- sample: A sound clip created by sampling from the studio recording of a song, without additional lyrics sang live. It can contain live-added (random) chants.
- sans: A person in the band line-up (including Prince) absent from a song rendition.
- segue: A song rendition segueing into the next song, without any pause in between them and usually with the beat continuing uninterrupted.
- show coda: Set musical ending to a specific show.
- show intro: Set musical opening to a specific show.
- '[T]' Part of a melody or lyrics performed or lyrics and words performed, but no more than a verse or a chorus maximum.
- w/ (with): A person participating in the song.
- [H-int] interpolation (horns)
- [Int] interpolation
- [P] partial
- [S] sample
- [T] tease
- over sampled loop: A song done as a "partial" or "full band" where the base is a sampled loop cued by Prince.
- guitar set: Prince alone on acoustic guitar. (Almost always "partial" songs and more or less segueing into one another. Not indicated as such.)
- piano set: Prince alone on piano. (Almost always "partial" songs and more or less segueing into one another. Not indicated as such.)